A DOCTOR deployed by the World Heath Organisation (WHO) has been killed after a mob attacked staff at a hospital in the epicentre of the Ebola outbreak in the Democratic Republic of Congo (DRC) in the latest worrying example of violence against health worker
WHO Director-General Dr Tedros Adhanom Ghebreyesus said: “I and all of WHO are deeply saddened by the loss of our colleague and brother Dr Mouzoko.
“He put himself on the frontline to save lives in the Democratic Republic of the Congo.
“We grieve with his family and friends at this very difficult time.”
“This is a tragic reminder of the risks health workers take every day to protect the lives and health of others.
“We are outraged by this attack: health workers and health facilities must never be targets.”
The attack took place during a coordination meeting being held at the hospital at that time on Friday.
Dr Tedros added: “We are assessing the security situation to ensure the safety of all patients, health workers and Ebola responders.
“At the same time, we remain committed to continue supporting the Ministry of Health of DRC to end this outbreak as quickly as possible.”
The attack is just the latest in a series of worrying incidents on the central African country.
In February, another mob set fire to an Ebola treatment centre run by Medecins Sans Frontieres (MSF) in the east of the country late on Sunday, forcing staff to evacuate patients, with the brother of a patient being treated at the facility dying after the arson attack.
Earlier this month, MSF warned police coercion tactics were undermining the trust of the community.
A spokeswoman said: “The police are involved in surveillance, contact tracing and various other activities.
“This outbreak is happening in a conflict zone and we do not question the role that the police and other security forces can play in protecting those involved in the response.
“But their current role in the response itself is counterproductive for gaining the trust of the population and containing the epidemic.”