Islamic State on Monday released a propaganda video featuring its leader Abu Bakr al-Baghdadi. This was the first time al-Baghdadi was seen on video since July 2014.
In the video, released by Al-Furqan Media this evening, Baghdadi is sitting cross-legged, close to an assault rifle. There are some men whom he is seen addressing but their faces are blurred.
Before this, Baghdadi was seen in the Mosul mosque sermon years ago. The IS leader, who was reported to be badly injured in an air strike in 2015, seems to have fully recovered from his injuries.
The propaganda video featuring Baghdadi has been doing rounds on Twitter since it was released and top journalists say that the Baghdadi – speaking in Arabic – admitted that the terror bombings in Sri Lanka was a “retaliation” for losing Baghouz, which was the last IS stronghold in Syria.
Translating what Baghdadi said, some journalists and experts also claimed that the international terror group’s leader was parsing Islamic State terrorists who “died protecting the caliphate”.
The authenticity of the video cannot be confirmed by India Today and the timeline of when the video was shot also remains unclear.
While the Islamic State’s last stronghold was eliminated recently, the terror group’s leader claimed responsibility for the Easter Sunday bombings in Sri Lanka.
Abu Bakr al-Baghdadi, who has a $25 million US bounty on his head, was reported killed or wounded on a number of occasions. Nothing has been heard about him since September 2017, when the Islamic State militants allegedly released an audio recording of their leader.
In the audio, Baghdadi reportedly urged supporters to wage attacks against the West and keep fighting in Syria and neighbouring Iraq.Read | No choice but to fight: Islamic State chief Abu Baghdadi heard saying in audio clipAlso Read | Sri Lanka bans groups suspected to be behind Easter bombings, terror chief’s family wounded in gun battleMust Read | How laid back Sri Lanka became a soft target for Islamist strikeWatch | Terror in Sri Lanka: A ground report
Get real-time alerts and all the news on your phone with the all-new India Today app. Download from
POST YOUR COMMENT 11Do You Like This Story? (3)(7)by TaboolaSponsored LinksYOU MAY LIKESimple Activities to Make Your 2-14 Year Old Kid Smart and CreativeMagic CrateHair Loss? This ’10 Days’ Ayurvedic Hair Oil can Help You !10 Days Hair OilReduce Your Fat & Increase Your Energy Levels By Having This Every NightOmexxel Raspberry Ketone ProFamily Photos You Will Surely Laugh AtBestFamilyMagThis Simple Trick Melts Belly Fat While You Sleep (Try Tonight)NutralyfeUP to 75% Off on Premium Watches, Pay COD.Swatch Kingby TaboolaFROM INDIA TODAY GROUPTN 10th Result 2019 to be out today: Check TN SSLC Result at tnresults.nic.inIslamic State claims responsibility for Sri Lanka bombingsUP Board Result 2019 DECLARED Live Updates: Check UP Board 10th, 12th results at indiatoday.inBlast in Sri Lankan town Pugoda, no casualtiesCyclone Fani to intensify into severe storm today | UpdatesPregnant Esha Deol with mom Hema Malini and sister Ahana star in pics from Mumbai poll booth
- Daily tracker: How drugs, cash, gold & booze are keeping netas busy in Lok Sabha polls
- E-Chunav 2019: Cast your vote in India’s virtual Lok Sabha election
- Deeply regret Jallianwala Bagh massacre: British PM Theresa May
- Lok Sabha Election 2019: Your one-stop poll guide is here
WATCH RIGHT NOW
- 02:47Vajpayee’s formula best for Kashmir: PM Modi
- 01:05Each opposition leader would abuse me for 30 seconds, says Narendra Modi
- 22:59Rahul vetoes idea to field Priyanka from Varanasi
- 02:09Mumbaikars condemn Sadhvi Pragya’s remark on Hemant Karkare
- 02:47Gautam Gambhir to contest from East Delhi
- 19:42I-T raids Kanimozhi’s house just before elections
- 05:37How to vote in Lok Sabha elections 2019
- 00:42Priyanka Gandhi Vadra holds roadshow in Ghaziabad
USEFUL LINKS :
Copyright © 2019 Living Media India Limited. For reprint rights: Syndications TodayRECOMMENDED
- Day after raids, NIA arrests Kerala-based Islamic State terror plotter
- IS claims responsibility for Sri Lanka blasts, releases photo of 7-man suicide bomber squad
- Coming soon: IS poster in Bengali hints at attack days after Sri Lanka serial blasts
- After Sri Lanka blasts, NIA raids 3 places in Kerala over suspected Islamic State links
- NTJ splinter group behind Sri Lanka serial blasts, 9 suicide bombers including woman involved
- Indian Army killed 66 terrorists in 2019, 27 from Jaish-e-Mohammed
- 26/11 terror attack key accused now FBI’s most wanted